Sunday 20 December 2020

Mince Pies and Music

What better way to spend a damp grey morning on the run up to Christmas, than in the cosy warmth of the kitchen, making mince pies. Yes, this morning I finally got around to baking my first batch of the festive season and they are already disappearing fast. This must be the latest I've ever left it, temptation usually getting the better of me, but I expect I'll be making even more before the week is over. My star pastry cutter has been working extremely hard this year. ✩✩✩


Once cooled the mince pies were treated to a generous dusting of icing sugar, with six of them being set aside to be delivered along with some Christmas gifts later in the day.


Shortly after lunch, and being careful to dodge the heavy rain showers, we made a visit to the farm shop to buy some cheese. They have a wonderful cheese counter there, and there is usually something just a little bit different to try. At the moment, their selection is quite limited but we were able to get what we wanted, including my festive favourite, Wensleydale with cranberries. 
To get us in the Christmas mood, there was a concert band in the courtyard playing carols. A much welcome slice of normality in these ever changing times and some delightful background music to our visit.

This evening I've tidied my baking cupboard again, I'm terrible at not putting things away neatly. I also like to do a quick inventory occasionally, just so I can know exactly what's in there. If I'm not careful I end up getting all sorts of ingredients when I'm at the supermarket 'just in case,' and before I know it I have a cupboard full of cinnamon, ground almonds and cornflour. 

J. X

 



26 comments:

  1. The mince pies look delicious and so pretty, too. It was a damp, grey day here, as well and I spent most of it in the kitchen baking jam thumbprint cookies and drinking cup after cup of hot Earl Grey tea. I love Wensleyday cranberry cheese - it is one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Julia. The kitchen is a good place to be when it's cold and miserable outdoors. The cookies sound delicious. X

      Delete
  2. OH, those look so delicious! You did a beautiful job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your mince pies do look delicious! Especially with the dusting of icing sugar. :) I haven't done any baking yet, but, maybe I'll make some cookies next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bless. The icing sugar looks pretty and can disguise a multitude of sins ;)

      Delete
  4. Your mince pies look scrumptious. I have already bought my Wensleydale with cranberries cheese.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cheese is delicious. I'm concerned I haven't bought enough of it now :)

      Delete
  5. I love mince pies with a pretty top and the dusting of icing sugar looks so beautifully festive.
    I had a go at the Christmas coffee and, yes, it was lovely. It's not on the list for my Christmas morning coffee (and sooner too) Thank you.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed the coffee, Joy. I intend to save my Winter Blend beans for Christmas morning. X

      Delete
  6. After trying Christmas cake, Christmas pudding and mince pies when I was a child and not liking them I've never tried them again, until last year when I had a slice of Christmas cake and loved it. This year I've tried mince pies and discovered I love them too. All these years I've been missing out on them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was always the same, Jo. I think it's because I'm a bit particular when it comes to the mince pie pastry. It's only been in recent years that I've begun to enjoy marmalade as well :)

      Delete
  7. On my list still to make. Like you I use a star cutter for the tops. Yours look so pretty. Have a lovely day. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they look so pretty with the stars, so much more festive. X

      Delete
  8. Great looking mince pies. I've only got circular cutters unfortunately! I might invest in a star...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought my set of cutters (tree, star, snowman and snowflake) quite inexpensively from The Works. X

      Delete
  9. Those mince pies look great you can't beat a home made mince pie and I intend making some too even though I've already gone through two boxes of bought ones haha. I'm pleased to say I found the cutters at the Works this morning so no excuse now I'm going to have to get started on the baking. I know what you mean about the baking cupboard I found 3 bottles of vanilla extract in there last time I tidied.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Linda. This is my go-to recipe as it never fails to deliver. Although, in my humble opinion, Greggs mince pies are the best I've ever bought. I'm glad you managed to get your cutters.
      It's ground almonds that I currently have an abundance of :)

      Delete
  10. Your final paragraph could have been written by me!
    The mince pies look delicious. I've not made any yet, but my cake is ready and I will decorate it on Wednesday. Have a peaceful and happy Christmas. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's easily done isn't it. But as long as it's something with a long shelf life it doesn't really matter. It can work out for the best, however, as I have two boxes of icing sugar in there, whereas the supermarket shelf is empty.
      Happy Christmas, Eloise. X

      Delete
  11. The mince pies look lovely, and so much nicer than mine :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All that really matters is how good they taste, Eunice. And icing sugar can hide a multitude of sins ;) X

      Delete
  12. Your mince pies look almost too pretty to eat, with their stars on top, Jules. How delicious! I love the scent of baking and spice. MegXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Meg. I love the aroma of festive baking wafting through the house. X

      Delete
  13. Nom nom. My husband has already eaten a huge number of mince pies this year, with a little help from me of course. Your little starry confections look perfect. I'm probably going to make a tea fruit cake tomorrow instead of making more mince pies. Equally delicious but much quicker to make. Have a wonderful Christmas whatever you're doing and best wishes for a happy new year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny how some non-festive baking can feel like a delicious treat at this time of year. I'm baking gingerbread tomorrow, but I'm going to make some chocolate brownies as well.
      Merry Christmas, Jean, and let's hope the new year will be better for everyone. X

      Delete