Tuesday 22 December 2020

Snowflakes and Christmas Lights

 

In sharp contrast to yesterday, this morning dawned bright and clear. There had been a light frost overnight. The grass sparkled and the water had frozen on the bird feeder. Unusually for me, on such a beautiful day, I was in no hurry to leave the house. A gentle morning pottering indoors was more enticing and resulted in the last of the fairy lights being hung across the kitchen, the muddle of boots getting cleared from the hallway and many, many tiny pieces of paper scattered all across the table.

The mess was worth it, however. Seventeen paper snowflakes and four sore fingers later, one 'fairly' impressed little girl, and and the dining room window is now finally decorated. I say fairly impressed, as Lily was hoping to contribute more than she did but, unfortunately, the thickness of the folded paper meant the cutting out was a little too difficult for her. She did, however, enjoy very carefully unfolding the paper triangles to reveal the finished snowflakes. These were not always a complete surprise to me, as to make things easier, I'd printed off some templates I had found online. You can probably tell which ones from the above photograph.

This evening we took a trip into town. Once again, it was good to see people out and about, shopping safely, enjoying drinks outside cafes. 


Having already completed my Christmas shopping it was lovely to just walk through the streets and admire the displays. So many beautiful lights.

I'm almost ready for Christmas now. I've still some presents to wrap and I'm looking forward baking our gingerbread house tomorrow. 

J.X

32 comments:

  1. Wow, love the snowflakes. Very professional.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I was glad of the template. X

      Delete
  2. Lily will have the best Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to love making snowflakes with my year 2 class and decorating the windows. The town lights look lovely. Enjoy your baking :) B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of those things I remember making when I was at school. I might make some paper chains next year :)

      Delete
  4. You two created beautiful snowflakes, and the street decor is very festive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I love a trip to see the Christmas lights. X

      Delete
  5. Beautiful lights. Things look very Christmassy where you are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We could just use some of your snow now :)

      Delete
  6. Beautiful snowflakes and lights in the town.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Eileen. The lights appear much prettier this year somehow. X

      Delete
  7. It's been many many years since I made snowflakes with children and they certainly didn't look as beautiful as those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure they wouldn't look anywhere near as good, had I not received some help :)

      Delete
  8. The snowflakes look so pretty. :)
    You have some stunning Christmas lights too. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some beautiful lights in the town and there seems to be more of them this year. X

      Delete
  9. Like your cutout snowflakes. Haven't done that for years. We cheated and bought a sheet of plastic ones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd forgotten how tricky it can be to cut out the designs. X

      Delete
  10. Such pretty snowflakes, that takes me back to my childhood, I used to sit for hours making those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were fun to make but I'm not sure I'd have had the patience to make many more. X

      Delete
  11. I haven't made paper snowflakes since I was at school, I don't think I'd know how to now. Yours look very pretty and the town lights look lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used these templates, Eunice.
      https://www.firstpalette.com/printable/snowflake.html

      Delete
  12. Beautiful, and I love your snowflakes!
    I've still got to wrap some pressies. Nothing like leaving it to the last minute! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sadie. And I could kick myself for not wrapping Lily's presents while she was still at school. X

      Delete
  13. Those snowflakes are beautiful land much more professional than any I have ever made.

    The gorgeously decorated street looks just like the one where I used to have my little shop. It always came alive at Christmas as we had the Dickensian Festival to kick things off nice and early.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sue. A Dickensian Festival sounds wonderful at this time of year. X

      Delete
  14. I haven't made paper snowflakes for years! They look intricate and beautiful.

    The twinkling lights in your town are so pretty. We may go for a walk tonight, our Xmas Eve,to see some of the houses in our neighbourhood that are decked out with xmas lights.

    Have a lovely xmas, Jules.
    Meg🎄

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The snowflakes were a lot of fun to make, and they look really pretty on the windows.
      A trip to the lights just before Christmas is so magical. Have a lovely Christmas, Meg. X

      Delete
  15. Lovely snowflakes! Your town looks very festive too, with all the lights! Ha, ha, I remember the days when I'd have to shoo my daughter off to bed on Christmas Eve in order to wrap her gifts! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just going to check Lily is finally asleep, then I am going to get some of them wrapped. I really don't want to be doing it last minute :) I'm kicking myself for not having done this while she was still at school. X

      Delete
  16. The snowflakes are so pretty and so are the lights! I wanted to make some but never got around to it. I bet they look so festive in your dining room window.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Julia. I think I'll keep the snowflakes up for a while, then keep them to use again next year. X

      Delete