Sunday 27 August 2023

Belfast

Just two days after returning home from our recent trip, we were off on our travels again, only  this time we were flying. After a very early (even by my usual standards) start, we enjoyed an incredibly smooth flight, arriving in our destination of Belfast by mid-morning. Why Belfast? Well, quite simply because it was somewhere we had never been before :) And we had such a good time.

After a late breakfast, we checked our bags in at the hotel and went for a wander around. Again, we were blessed with some lovely weather for our sightseeing. This came as quite a relief, as in an attempt to get all my clothes into just my hand luggage, I had taken the unusual and possibly reckless decision to leave my waterproof jacket at home. 



Our hotel was down beside the River Lagan and we needed to cross over the footbridge, passing The Big Fish and The Beacon of Hope (or Nuala with the Hoola), whenever we went into the city centre. We didn't notice at first, but The Albert Memorial Clock, which came in very useful for helping us to find our bearings, has a slight lean to it.


The City Hall is such a beautiful building and it was here that we ate our picnic lunch in the garden each day. Inside, there is an exhibition outlining the history of Belfast, and gives a fascinating insight into the city and it's culture, with a rather poignant Reflection Space, where we were able to read individual's lived experiences of The Troubles. It is also well known for it's many stained glass windows, which commemorate various historical events, and contributions to the city by individuals and organisations. 


On our second morning in Belfast, we walked the Maritime Mile. This took us out towards The Great Light and beyond, passing Titanic Belfast, SS Nomadic and HMS Caroline. The last photograph above is taken from what would have been the slipway where the Titanic first launched. As is often a tradition these days, people have placed padlocks there, engraved with their names and significant dates. 


In the afternoon we walked back into the centre of Belfast, where we were able to take in the views across the city from the very top of the shopping centre. You can see the clock tower and the huge Harland & Wolff cranes, which dominate the skyline. The glass roof acted like a greenhouse and it was incredibly hot in there, so we didn't hang around for very long. Instead we went to indulge ourselves in a little bit of shopping. I know! I'm not entirely sure who I am any more ;)


After such a busy day, it was a relief to sit down and enjoy our evening meal, before taking in the sunset from down by the riverside. There was also a brief pause to experience a drink in McHugh's. A lively Irish bar and the oldest surviving building in Belfast.


On our final morning we visited Titanic Belfast. This imposing building, located at the side of the Titanic Slipway where we had been the day before, houses a brilliant and interactive exhibition telling the story of The Titanic. Seeing the exhibits and reading about the personal experiences from some of  the individuals on board the ship was a captivating experience, especially discovering certain details I hadn't been aware of previously.



Then all too soon, it was time to return home. We had a brilliant time in Belfast and I would definitely like to go back again some time.

After a busy couple of weeks it feels good to pause and catch my breath. The beginning of the school year is almost upon us, which means there will be uniform to sort out and a new daily routine to navigate. There is definitely a change in the air, and autumn is fast approaching. I have resigned myself to the fact that summer, this year, was in fact the three weeks of good weather we experienced back in June. 

J. X

36 comments:

  1. Well you were VERY LUCKY to have no rain in Ireland lol! Belfast sounds fascinating, somewhere I’ve never travelled to. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We really were very lucky. In fact, considering it has been such a wet summer this year, we've somehow managed to avoid the rain when we've been away. X

      Delete
  2. Wow, you haven't hung around this school holiday, have you ? 😊

    Hope you have a less damp Bank Holiday than we've got here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Instead of having a full week away, I've really enjoyed our shorter trips this summer.
      Don't worry, the weather will pick up, just as soon as the children return to school! X

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful trip you enjoyed in Belfast and thank you for sharing your photos. You're right summer has been a washout except for a very hot June. The garden furniture I bought last year has only been unwrapped once :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've barely sat out in the garden this year. My garden parasol hasn't been out at all!

      Delete
  4. Well, Belfast, is certainly a change from walking the fells. It's a city to which I have never been and, for no logical reason whatsoever, I didn't expect it to look like the photos you have taken. I .m glad that you both had a brilliant experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Graham, I'm not quite sure what I had expected, but my curiosity has been satisfied. X

      Delete
  5. A couple of our friends spent a week In Belfast last week and absolutely loved it. It looks like the weather was kind to you, too. You made me giggle about the shopping and "not knowing who you were anymore"! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not like me to go shopping, Vix. X

      Delete
  6. Just catching up on blogs again, thank you for posting about your trip. As usual your photos are so good, those skies... feels like I'm there. All the best as the school term starts soon. Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cathy. There's just one week left now. Xx

      Delete
  7. What a wonderful trip! You've certainly visited many places this summer and Lily will have lots to say when they ask to write about your summer holiday back at school! Thank you for sharing your lovely photos! Hope you and Lily are able to transition to the start of the school year without any difficulties.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember having to write about summer break! I'm not sure they still do that any more. Disappointingly, this year didn't produce the weather I had hoped for, but I've still had a wonderful summer. Thank you, Bless. X

      Delete
  8. What a wonderful trip you've had...thank you for sharing it with us. The photos are lovely...the one out of the plane window just says, "Adventure awaits!" And it made me smile...from my perspective, it appears that the Albert Memorial Clock is straight, and the buildings are leaning forward!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The plane window photograph did seem a little indulgent, but it had been a while and I couldn't resist capturing those light fluffy clouds!
      I see what you mean about those buildings, but I promise you they were straight :)

      Delete
  9. Belfast is on my bucket list! I am glad you have such a wonderful trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can recommend it. We had such a great time. X

      Delete
  10. My goodness! What a beautiful place!!! Thank you for the amazing photos and the information that is all new to me. Glad you are home now, ready to start a new school year and another beautiful season, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Billie Jo. I really enjoyed my stay in Belfast, and would love to go back again at some point. Xx

      Delete
  11. It certainly looks a very enjoyable trip to Belfast, many thanks for sharing your lovely photographs.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jan. There were a few more places I would like to have visited, if I'd been staying there longer, so fingers crossed I get to go again some time. X

      Delete
  12. Oh, that's too bad you only had three weeks of warm weather. We are spoiled with the sunshine here. You photos from your trip are gorgeous! Hope you had a fabulous time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weather is set to improve a little, over the next few weeks. This is often the way when the children return to school :)

      Delete
  13. Definitely a city break I would like to do, such a fascinating place. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd been thinking about visiting for a while, and I'm very glad I did. X

      Delete
  14. Belfast is somewhere which I've never thought of visiting but it looks like there's plenty to see and do there. The Titanic exhibition is something which would really appeal to me. Glad you had such a good time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The exhibition was really interesting. It was somewhere I'd been looking forward to visiting, especially as Lily had learned all about The Titanic at school, last term. X

      Delete
  15. Aaah my hometown! Sooo glad you enjoyed it, you were bloomin lucky with the weather and it was utter madness to go to Ireland without a raincoat LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what I was thinking. Living here, going anywhere without a raincoat is almost unheard of :)

      Delete
  16. Belfast looks absolutely beautiful! Ireland is also on my list to visit someday. It sounds like you had a wonderful trip! Happy first day of September. I just flipped my calendar over - hard to believe autumn is just a few weeks away. Hope you have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Julia. Belfast was amazing, and I'm so glad we went.
      Autumn feels like it's just around the corner but we're forecast some beautiful summer sunshine for the week ahead. Xx

      Delete
  17. Goodness me...you've turned into quite the social butterfly of late!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Belfast is a city I would like to re-visit one day. Once had a boozy night awards ceremony there many years ago. Managed to walk, hungover, to the University botanical gardens the next morning & that's about it. Good to see it in your pictures xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The botanical gardens was one of the places I had wished to visit, along with the museum, but it was closed on the Monday :( Xx

      Delete