Monday 21 August 2023

Hadrian's Wall

Only a few days after we returned from London, we were on the move again, this time we went just a little way over the border into Northumberland. 

For the last couple of years I have been promising Lily we would visit Hadrian's Wall but for various reasons it just didn't happen. I think mainly I had been waiting for  spell of decent weather, so that we could go camping. With this seeming more and more unlikely, I booked us into a Youth Hostel instead, still hoping the weather gods would be kind to us, so that we could at least enjoy a nice walk. 

The Youth Hostel is attached to a visitor centre and it's really lovely. Modern and spotlessly clean, it contained everything we needed and more.

After a short stop on the way, to meet up with a friend, we arrived late in the afternoon, but still an hour earlier than our checking in time. This worked out well, as we left the car at the visitor centre and walked up to Winshield Craggs, which is the highest point on the wall and on a completely clear day you can see for miles. Our view was still pleasant, however, and the many flying ants at the summit thought so too! Thankfully they didn't bother us, but we made a hasty retreat back to the hostel and ordered our evening meal. Fish and chips for Lily, vegetable lasagne and a glass of wine for me :)

After a good night's sleep - I got the bottom bunk - and a rather tasty cooked breakfast, we checked out of the hostel, and headed east, in the opposite direction to the previous day. Again the path took us alongside the wall, but this time passing Milecastle 39 and then on towards Sycamore Gap.




The heather was looking beautiful and the landscape really appears to be welcoming the late summer now.


We walked out as far as Crag Lough, then retraced our steps back to the visitor centre. Here we spent a while enjoying the interactive exhibits and walked on the living roof, before heading for home. We took the scenic route over Hartside summit, stopping off at The Village Bakery in Melmerby for some delicious cake. Well, it was my birthday after all. 

J. X



36 comments:

  1. Many years ago we took my mum for a short walk along the wall, living in Somerset, she was so pleased to make the journey, it's a beautiful area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It must have been around twelve years since my previous visit. i would love to walk the full length of the wall. X

      Delete
  2. Belated birthday wishes Jules and what a lovely adventure you had with Lily at Hadrian's Wall. Wonderful photos xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Hadrian's Wall visitor centres really capture the imagination. I like Vindolanda, but it's quite a price to go in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We didn't visit any of the forts on this occasion. Perhaps we will if we visit again. Xx

      Delete
  4. Well please accept best wishes for the year ahead. I hope that it is a happy and healthy one for you. I enjoyed seeing your pictures of the wall. I've only ever walked a short distance of it many many years ago. I don't recall it being so manicured where I was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Graham. The area we visited is a lovely section of the wall, although I would quite like to see more of it. X

      Delete
  5. That was a fascinating trip - I'm glad the weather held for you. Where I grew up (a small town just outside Glasgow) there was a portion of a Roman wall, the name escapes me, that we would visit. Not as spectacular as your visit, but interesting nevertheless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would that be The Antonine Wall? There are so many fascinating places to visit. X

      Delete
  6. Stunning photos! I mentioned Hadrian’s Wall on my blog, a couple of days ago, as I’ve been reading a book about The Romans. I walked on the wall when I was very young. I think it was near to Housesteads. Quite an experience!
    I hope that you had a lovely birthday! 🎂🍰🎂🍰🎂😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sal. I remember visiting Housesteads once, on a school trip. X

      Delete
  7. Beautiful!!!! I simply love your photos, my friend. And Happy Belated Birthday to you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy belated birthday! What a lovely way to spend your birthday, visiting Hadrian's Wall and enjoying some cake! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bless. It was a lovely surprise to discover that we would be driving past the bakery on our way home. X

      Delete
  9. Sounds like a brilliant few days in a beautiful part of the country. I love sycamore gap. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sycamore Gap was beautiful, and it was lovely and quiet while we were there. X

      Delete
  10. Belated birthday wishes.
    What a lovely few days away, lovely photographs.
    I especially like how the tree is looking in photographs six and eight.

    Enjoy the rest of these August days.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jan. I didn't realise until I got home, that the second photograph of the tree is almost identical to one that featured on our information guide. X

      Delete
  11. What gorgeous photos! I love that you can see such a distance in so many of them. Beautiful!! Happy Belated Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. A very belated happy birthday, x
    Ages since I went to that area but you are right, it is lovely and there are some splendid views.
    Did Hartside look sad now that the old cafe has gone?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jayne.
      I didn't realise there had been a cafe at Hartside. X

      Delete
  13. My first visit to Hadrian's Wall was on a school trip, we stayed in Northumberland, it must have been around February time, I remember there was snow on the ground. You seem to have done so much this summer, lots of lovely memories made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine most people's first experiences of the wall would have been on a school trip :) I think Lily probably would have visited with school a couple of years ago, but the lockdowns threw a spanner in the works.
      I think it has still been a lovely summer, in spite of the weather. X

      Delete
  14. Happy Birthday to you, dear Jules! What stunning photos, I'm glad you nd Lilly had a fabulous trip. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. I always enjoy your blog and your photos. I particularly enjoyed this one having been to Hadrians Wall and stayed at the same Youth Centre very many years ago. I got there by train and bus. I enjoyed Housesteads and Vindolanda. The room I was in was for two, and later in the evening -it was a rainy and chill day - a young woman arrived who had been hiking a section of the wall. I also met an Australian woman staying there who was a Minister and we had a drink together at the pub Twice Brewed, not sure if that is still there. Happy memories. Jean/Winnipeg.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, that's very kind of you to say. Yes, the pub is still there!
      The hostel looked to be quite new, so it my have been different to the one you stayed in, but the atmosphere was very similar. There were people staying there who had travelled far and wide. Xx

      Delete
  16. Ahh I think I know the hostel you stayed at, it does look rather nice. And Sycamore Gap looking beautiful up there. I do like the bakery at Melmerby too. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit, I was a little disappointed that they had sold out of my favourite carrot cake :)

      Delete
  17. Think I'm in love with that tree! Belated Birthday Wishes. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a lovely tree :) Thank you, Jackie. Xx

      Delete
  18. You captured the Robin Hood Prince of Thieves tree Jules! (funny that go from the cliffs of Dover to Nottingham via Hadrian's wall 'eh! ;) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to take your word for it Lulu. I've never seen the film. Xx

      Delete