Saturday 19 August 2023

Summer in the City

 

Last weekend, Lily and I went on our previously postponed trip down to London, and even though we didn't get the high temperatures that had been forecast, it was at least warm and and sunny, which made sightseeing a far more pleasant experience than it would have been a week earlier.

Once we'd arrived and dropped off our bags, our very first stop just had to be the new water park on Clapham Common. Now I realise this wouldn't rank high on most people's London itineraries, but ever since our previous visit, when it was still in it's construction stage, Lily had been desperate for it to be open. This happened officially at the end of July and it has since proved to be incredibly popular. It is a great facility and Lily had a wonderful time running in and out of the various water features and fountains, while her big sister and I spent a lovely afternoon chatting in the sun.  I didn't take long before I decided that something fizzy was in order, and so we treated ourselves to some passion fruit martinis :)

The following day began with a trip on the cable cars at Greenwich. It was only a short ride, but was a lot of fun to do and gave us some amazing views across the city. 


I had been a little worried in that it was rather breezy that morning, but thankfully our car remained quite steady.




Moving away from Greenwich, we enjoyed a quick walk along an unusually quiet Oxford Street, then went for a wander around Covent Garden. It had been years since my last visit, but it hadn't changed a bit, and was still just as lively and bustling as I'd remembered. There were so many people milling around here, and lots more just stood about watching the street performers. It was nice for a little while but it felt good to then make our escape to Regent's Park, where we could relax and enjoy our picnic lunch and a much needed cup of coffee, followed by a walk around the beautiful rose garden. 

From there, our morning took on a more gentle pace. Away from the busy streets we walked along the canal to Little Venice. The tow path was lovely and quiet, and it certainly didn't feel like were right in the centre of such a large city. The slower pace was welcome and the brightly painted houseboats were such a delight to see. 





The next morning, we walked along by the Thames. Because we couldn't visit London and not see Big Ben! Stopping off at the Jubilee Gardens near the London Eye, we walked right along South Bank towards Millennium Bridge, then across to St. Paul's Cathedral. From there we headed to The Monument (on my list to visit next time), before catching the tube to Euston, for our journey home.


Being such a contrast to the slower pace of life I'm more accustomed to, I do enjoy our trips to the city, and yet, I'm often surprised at how easily we both adjust to it  when we arrive. 
But for now, it's good to back home,  for a short while at least :)

J. X













28 comments:

  1. You certainly packed in a lot during your trip! I’ve not been to London for ten years but when I lived in Surrey, trips were very frequent and I did enjoy the city and all that it had to offer. It’s always good to get home though! Enjoy the weekend!😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sal. I like to try and fit in as much as I can, without exhausting ourselves. Xx

      Delete
  2. It sounds an absolutely lovely visit. London is, indeed a beautiful and interesting city. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is so much to discover. We'll be going back again soon. X

      Delete
  3. The visit sounds lovely and your photos show how good it was to visit where you did. Your photos are so very interesting - they bring out the places you visited in such a way that for a minute we are there with you. The blue skies make it all seem so enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weather made all the difference. It's never as much fun if you're traipsing about in the rain. X

      Delete
  4. As trips to London go, yours looks like a brilliant one. Lovely to see Little Venice looking so tranquil and lush. Many decades ago I worked nearby and it was a super place to escape to at lunchtime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is lovely at Little Venice. A different pace of life. Xx

      Delete
  5. Great photos, and glad it wasn't too hot for you, London in the heat can be hard work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do love seeing your photos of your trip to London and you certainly packed a lot in. My son works as a manager for London Underground but my days of visiting him are over now so lovely to see places I have visited in the past.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a wonderful and vibrant city, but I'm not sure I would want to live there. Xx

      Delete
  7. Well catching up since the last post I read in July has increased my chocolate orange intake with my coffee from 2 to 5 segments but I'm now up to date. Much of my time was taken by your London excursion. I spent a lot of time in London once upon a time but have never been back since my elder son who lived there died there in 2006. Your pictures and tours (for want of a better term) set me off down memory lane. I'm so glad that you both enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Graham. And I admire your restraint with the chocolate orange. Xx

      Delete
  8. Sounds like a lovely visit and you certainly visited a number of places! I enjoyed seeing your photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We try to fit in as much as we can, but without exhausting ourselves. There is so much to see there. Xx

      Delete
  9. It looks and sounds that you had a wonderful visit to London.
    I enjoyed seeing all of your photographs and thought Little Venice (especially) looks lovely.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Little Venice is such a contrast to the hustle and bustle of the city. Xx

      Delete
  10. Hello! Thank you for sharing your lovely trip to London! I have never been, and I so enjoyed the photos of places I have not seen. So glad the weather was pleasant for your visit too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Billie Jo. London is a great place to visit. X

      Delete
  11. You have been busy, what great photos it looks like you have had a great trip it's ages since I've been to London. I hope you got home safe have a great Sunday. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Linda. We had a great time. Xx

      Delete
  12. Hi Jules. I'm so glad you and Lily were able to get away to London. It looks like you had a wonderful trip and wonderful weather. Love all your photos! London is on my list to visit someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julia! I really hope you get to visit one day. Xx

      Delete
  13. What wonderful photos of London, and it's great that you got to explore some of the lesser visited places such as Little Venice and Greenwich. The cable car idea sounds good. Glad you got nice weather, sometimes London can get too hot I think. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can never get bored in London, that's for sure. And the weather was just right for sightseeing. Xx

      Delete