Sunday 10 September 2023

Sea and Sunflowers

 

Just a few days before school started back for the autumn term, we took our final trip of the summer. This was a two day break that we should have taken at the beginning of August, but I had changed our plans because of the weather. The idea was to travel up the West coast of Cumbria, starting at Ravenglass, driving north towards Silloth, then finishing off with a morning at the sunflower field at Waverton.  As it turned out, the sunflower field would have been closed, but we could still visit if we went on the Sunday morning instead. So we decided to simply switch our journey around and drove in the opposite direction, meaning the sunflowers would be first on our itinerary.

The sunflower field was so pretty. Even though many of the sunflowers were past their best, there were plenty still growing and I'd already decided that we would bring home some of the heads, so we can plant the seeds next year. Lily loved sitting on the huge swing seat situated in amongst all the sunflowers and we had such a nice morning wandering around the field. Farmer Neil kindly said we could pick as many of the flowers as we would like, and I would have gathered armfuls if only I'd been going straight home afterwards. Never mind, I'll look forward to growing our own next year, perhaps just not quite as many!

After spending a lovely morning in the sunflowers, we journeyed on towards Silloth, a small Victorian seaside resort on the Solway Firth. It was here that we enjoyed our picnic lunch overlooking the sea, before Lily spent some time playing at the splash park on the green. After a much needed cup of coffee (and once I managed to persuade Lily to leave the splash park), we made our way back to the car, walking past the Big Fella Sculpture a little way farther along the promenade. It's much bigger than it looks.

Driving south, our next stop was Allonby. There isn't really much I can say about Allonby, other than it is a small village by the sea, has quite a nice beach, and it is home to a very popular ice cream shop. I had heard good things about it, so I thought we should give it a try. I even joined the queue, which is something I don't do very often! Was it worth it? I'm not sure that it was, but it was okay.



From Allonby, we continued our journey south towards Whitehaven, where we stayed overnight. Now, this was a pleasant surprise, and after dinner we spent a lovely evening down by the harbour, walking along the pier and then out to one of the lighthouses. 



I promised Lily a sunset. And the one we got was quite spectacular. The first photograph was taken while we walking out to the end of the North pier, the second was taken from the North Pier Lighthouse out towards the West Pier Lighthouse, and the third one was taken as we were heading back towards the car.

The next day we awoke to another beautiful bright morning, and after a brief walk around the town centre, including a lengthy browse in a rather fascinating old bookshop, we set off for the next stop on our journey, which was St. Bees. At first glance there didn't appear to be a lot there, but we turned along a road next to the station and at the end there was a large car park, which led on to a huge expanse of beach. On this particular day it was quite busy, with families making the most of the hot weather while they had chance, including ourselves :) Taking off my shoes there was just time for a quick paddle, the water was lovely and warm. St Bees Head is one of the starting points for the Coast to Coast walk, so I followed the coastal path uphill for a short way, retracing my steps again just before the track turns inland, heading east. I'd love to complete the walk one day, maybe in a few years. 



The final stop on our west coast road trip was to Ravenglass. Raveglass is situated on the estuary where three rivers meet, and it was here we took a short walk out to see the remains of a Roman Bath House, then on returning to the village we caught sight of one of the small steam trains, which had just pulled into the station. We didn't take a ride on this occasion, but maybe we can look forward to one on a future visit.


It was also here that I got to enjoy probably the most delicious ice cream I have ever tasted.
And I didn't need to queue!

J. X




36 comments:

  1. It sounds and looks like a fabulous trip Jules, beautiful sunset and Whitehaven looks so pretty. I love the Big Fella sculpture I looked it up and it's by the same artist that sculptured Tommy in my home town Seaham. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Big Fella is huge! Seaham is another place I'm hoping to visit later in the year. X

      Delete
  2. What a perfect trip and a beautiful sunset. Bet Lily was very impressed. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sunset was beautiful to watch. Initially, Lily had been reluctant to go out again after dinner, but she thanked me afterwards. Xx

      Delete
  3. It all looks so exciting and the photos are superb - especially th sunsets. I love that fish sculpture. And if that is Lily she has certainly grown into a young lady.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's Lily. She is getting very tall! X

      Delete
  4. I am always so inspired by your adventures...what wonderful memories you're making of sweet days spent together. They motivate me to get out and explore! I've promised myself, now that the days are beginning to be cooler, that I'll get out each weekend...the Butternut Trail still awaits me. And no, it's nothing extraordinary from what I can tell, I'm just in love with the name ;) Are most of your treks close to home, or do you travel quite a distance to find such pretty spots? I'm off to look at a map, and see what day-trips await me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary. We've certainly enjoyed a busy summer of mini-adventures, all of which were completed on a very tight budget - that is part of the challenge for me :) London and Belfast were the farthest we travelled. We are fortunate that the Lakes is on our doorstep. Xx

      Delete
  5. Hello Jules. It feels good to be back blogging again after my summer break and I am now catching up with everyone. You seem to have had a busy and enjoyable summer with your holiday trips and I always enjoy seeing your photos of the Lakes.
    Well done to Lily with her karate. Also well done to both of you with your potatoes, they looked great quality even if it was a small harvest. I never do well with them for some reason but I will keep trying. Have a lovely week.
    Beverley (formally meandmysmallcorner)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's lovely to see you back, Beverely. I'm struggling to keep up with everyone's news since school started back again, but I'm working on it. Xx

      Delete
  6. Such a beautiful time away. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love how just a couple of days can be just as relaxing as a whole week away. X

      Delete
  7. What a lovely trip you had. We look across the Solway Firth towards Whitehaven from our cottage on a good clear day. I have always wanted to go there so I can look back across at the Mull and perhaps see our cottage! There have been so many sunflowers around this year - not sure if that has anything to do with the weather or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I though about you, Viv, as we could just about see the Mull from where we were, but it was very hazy. Xx

      Delete
  8. What a wonderful couple of days you had. Lovely sunflowers and a gorgeous sunset and I adore that sculpture of the man and his dog on the bench xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lovely way to round off our summer break. Xx

      Delete
  9. Sounds like a lovely little break and, as usual, you managed to visit many places and do lots of fun things! Hope the school term is off to a good start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bless. It's all going well, so far. Just incredibly busy, which is why I'm struggling to keep up with everyone's news just now. Xx

      Delete
  10. Oh my! What a fabulous couple of days away you had.
    I so enjoyed coming along with you.
    Your photographs and narration really made me feel I was there.

    I hope back to school has gone well.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jan. It's been a lovely summer break, in spite of the weather, so it was good to finish it on a high note. Xx

      Delete
  11. We've done a similar route to yours, stopping for sunsets and ice creams - both while the boys were little and again this year in June. It is a lovely mix of hidden gems, forgotten villages and big skies - love it - feels like living on the edgelands xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never having visited the area previously, I was pleasantly surprised. We'll definitely be going back. Xx

      Delete
  12. What a lovely break. That sunset is utterly gorgeous. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a relaxing couple of days. Now I'm back to the daily grind :)

      Delete
  13. A delightful trip to end the holidays! Lovely photos too. I guess that you are also quite an expert in ice cream! Good luck with the new school term! Sal 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not certain that I'm an expert, but I know what I like ;)
      Thank you, Sal. It's all going well, so far. X

      Delete
  14. My goodness!!!! How beautiful! Your photos are amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Big Fella is huge isn't he!
    I quite like Allonby though a few places have shut since I first went there in 2020.
    Ravenglass is lovely and we've stayed a few times in a friend's family holiday cottage. The sunsets there are stunners. The ice cream shop there looks new, it wasn't there last time I visited. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He really is! We had a lovely couple of days exploring the area. We'll definitely go back - if only for the ice cream :)

      Delete
  16. How magical to visit a sunflower field and see such a sunset! Yum yum, please save me some ice cream :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lovely couple of days, and we were so lucky with the weather. X

      Delete
  17. Wonderful photos, looks like you had an amazing time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jill. It already feels like a long time ago. X

      Delete