Thursday 7 December 2023

Presents

 


I was chatting with a friend earlier today, and I was saying how I'd forgotten just how busy work can be at this time of year. It often feels exhausting, but it's a lot of fun at the same time. Today was Christmas jumper day. Mine has a large Christmas pudding on the front, which is quite appropriate, seeing as that's how I'm feeling at the moment. 

I've hardly stopped this week and any spare moments I've had have been spent trying to source Christmas presents. This has always been something I have found rather stressful, given that I'm not a huge fan of shopping. And I tend to put far too much pressure on myself to get the perfect gift for everyone, which of course is never going to happen. Unrealistic expectations. 
It can also be incredibly time consuming. Whether shopping online or on the High Street, these things invariably take much longer than I anticipate. Is it just me? That said, I don't think I'm doing too badly this year. Most of my present shopping is now complete, with just a few more items left to buy. Then I can relax.

This evening I have been busy baking some Mincemeat Shortbread, as tomorrow it's my turn to provide the festive treats for the staffroom. The coffee table is already hidden beneath several tubs of chocolates, and these are only going to increase as we get closer to Christmas. 

J. X

18 comments:

  1. Well done for what you have got so far and the shortbread sounds intriguing!
    I've not really done ANY shopping yet! Really must get going on it soon!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just need to get my shopping completed then I can relax. Quite often I reach this stage, then end up leaving the rest till last minute. X

      Delete
  2. You are way ahead of me, Jules, although I am quite caught up with Christmas baking. Unfortunately, I will be nibbling away at it for the next two weeks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christmas baking is a far more enjoyable activity. Xx

      Delete
  3. Presents...yours look so pretty wrapped up in that lovely paper and tied up with that string! I usually give some of my homemade jams and/or chutney. I need to find some containers in which to put them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love for someone to gift me some homemade jam or chutney. Delicious. Xx

      Delete
  4. Well done with the gifts - they look so exciting in the photo.
    Mincemeat shortbread sounds so good. Please could you post the recipe (or a link)? xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The link should work, Joy. Just click on where it reads Mincemeat Shortbread. I doubled the quantities and used a Swiss roll sized tin. It was clearly very popular, as I'm typing this in the staff room and the tin is now empty!

      Delete
    2. Doh - silly me. I didn't realise it was a link. Many thanks.
      I'm not surprised they were popular. They sound amazing. xx

      Delete
    3. Let me know if you try them. Xx

      Delete
  5. It's not just you Jules, finding the perfect gift is not easy. I posted some cards and gifts yesterday so it feels good to be organised.Mincemeat shortbread sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Present shopping is the one thing I dislike about Christmas. I could happily do without it. X

      Delete
  6. Oh I know, presents! I am not much of a shopper either and find Christmas shopping stressful. I am so glad that you are nearly done and that you can relax shortly! I am still bombarded with messages from family for ideas for the kids.... xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad it's not just me, Christina. I always feel a bit 'bah humbug!' when I admit to not enjoying Christmas Shopping. And yes, I also get those messages, leaving me short of ideas myself! X

      Delete
  7. Your gifts do look nicely wrapped.

    I've finished writing the Christmas Cards but still have a few more presents to get.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've almost completed my gift buying now, and I really need to write some more cards his weekend. Xx

      Delete
  8. Thank you for sharing your Mincemeat shortbread recipe. It looks delicious x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a delicious alternative to baking mince pies. X

      Delete